Friday, July 18, 2008

YOU AND ME GOIN' FISHIN' IN THE DARK


We have lived in Florida for almost two years now so we decided that it was well past time to become acquainted with a line and a pole. Who ever knew that pier fishing could be so much fun? Greg and I went on a date Friday night to the pier and we had a blast! Okay, well maybe the real reason why we had so much fun was because I caught all but one of the fish; including a hammerhead shark.

Everyone knows that ALL good dates begin or end at Wal-mart so, our adventures began a little after 7 o'clock when we stopped by for some assorted fishing gear and a bucket to hold our fish (yes, we were very optimistic about catching some fish). We arrived at the pier, bought our bait (shrimp) and set up camp about midway down the pier.



The clouds stayed just to our east throughout the evening and we were lucky to not get drenched while there. I figured out a great way to bait the hook in such a way that allows most of the blood from the shrimp to drip all over me before I even get the thing in the water; however, before you get laughing too hard, I must tell you that every time I bait the hook that way I caught a fish. And the one fish Greg caught...well just ask him who baited his hook, although I'm sure his ego may get in the way and my name will never fall from his lips! I must give credit where credit is due; however, because I only bait the hook and catch the fish; I DO NOT take them off the line. That's Greg's job!



Our adventures in Fishing 101 ended at 10:00 pm and we headed home to show the kids what great fishers we were. Darin has become somewhat of a fish connoisseur since fulfilling his requirements for a Boy Scout fishing merit badge, so he offered to clean, fillet, and cook the fish. Of course, this all had to be done outside because I absolutely hate the smell of fish! I even gave him an old pan and told him he had to cook it on the side burner of the grill. Darin did a wonderful job of cooking it up (I guess...I left after a quick photo shoot); and all enjoyed the fruits of my labors...outside of course - yes, I even made them eat it outside.


We had a great time on our date to the pier and since all of the kids are begging us to take them, I'm sure we'll be heading that way again real soon!


0 Comments: